Contents | < Browse | Browse >
SMail: Christian Bauer, Langenaustr.65, 56070 Koblenz, Germany
ShapeShifter is a multitasking shareware Macintosh-II emulator for
the Amiga computer. It allows to run Macintosh software concurrently
to Amiga applications without hardware add-ons or modifications.
Some of the emulation's features:
- Color display up to 256 colors on AGA Amigas (16 colors on ECS)
and up to 16.7 million colors on graphics cards
- Support for one or two monitors
- No MMU required, even runs on A1200
- Macintosh hard disks can be simulated in Amiga files or Amiga
hard disk partitions
[unregistered version has no hard disk partition support]
- Can use Amiga floppy drives, serial, parallel and SCSI ports
from the Mac
[use of SCSI not possible in unregistered version]
- Mac HD disks can be read directly with an HD floppy drive,
Mac 720K disks can be used with any Amiga floppy drive. To use
Mac 800K disks, you have to own CrossMAC and an original Mac
- Multichannel sound output and parallel-port sound digitizers
- Access to Ethernet networks
- Text clipboard sharing between Mac and Amiga
- File handler to access Macintosh volumes from the Workbench
- Speed comparable to a real Mac with equivalent hardware
The most important changes in V3.2:
- A workaround for the mfm.device bug
- The utility "SSOktaPatch" for users of Oktagon/AT-Bus 2008/
AlfaPower/TandemAT/ALF2/ALF3 controllers having problems with
DeviceDisks and SCSI access (see the README in the archive
- Completely new SCSI settings
- Phase 2 of the new SCSI routines: Direct transfers
- ShapeShifter can be used with a two-monitor setup
- The Merlin and Picasso support has moved into external drivers.
There is now also a driver for the "Graffity" video system.
- Improved Ethernet driver
- Full 68060 support, including MMU refresh
- Support for pre-emptive threads (yes, you CAN have pre-emptive
multitasking on a Mac)
- Owners of A-Max II+/IV can use the serial ports on the card
- Fixed the Mac-Handler (no more "Destination file removed")
- The Mac's sound output can be disabled completely
One thing that is not mentioned in the manual: The format of the
"ShapeShifter PRAM" file has changed from earlier versions of the
program. Anyone upgrading from previous versions should delete the
PRAM file before starting ShapeShifter 3.2.
OS2.1, 68020 processor, 4MB of RAM, HD floppy drive recommended.
A copy of a Macintosh 512K or 1MB ROM and the Macintosh system
software are not included, but required. The ROM can be read off
of a real Mac by using a supplied program, the system software
can be bought from Apple. Note, however, that reading the ROM is
only legal if you have bought the ROMs or own a real Macintosh.
Aminet sites: /misc/emu/ShapeShift3_2.lha
Next Generation BBS, Germany (ShapeShifter support BBS)
Port 1: +49-261-805012 (Zyx19.2/ISDN)
Port 2: +49-261-84280 (V.FC)
The requested shareware fee is DM 50,- or US$ 40.
Upon registration you will receive a keyfile that enables the
disabled features (SCSI and hard disk partition support).
Shareware (DM 50,- or US$ 40 requested)
/ Christian Bauer, Langenaustr. 65, 56070 Koblenz, Germany
/ WWW homepage: http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bauec002/