Contents | < Browse | Browse >
SMail: Christian Bauer, Langenaustr.65, 56070 Koblenz, Germany
ShapeShifter is a multitasking shareware Macintosh-II emulator for the
Amiga computer. It allows to run Macintosh software concurrently to Amiga
applications without hardware add-ons or modifications.
Some of the emulation's features:
- Color display up to 256 colors on AGA Amigas (16 colors on ECS)
and up to 16,7 million colors on graphics cards
- No MMU required, even runs on A1200
- Macintosh hard disks can be simulated in Amiga files or Amiga
hard disk partitions
[unregistered version has no hard disk partition support]
- Can use Amiga floppy drives, serial, parallel and SCSI ports
from the Mac
[use of SCSI not possible in unregistered version]
- Mac HD disks can be read directly with an HD floppy drive,
Mac 720K disks can be used with any Amiga floppy drive. To use
Mac 800K disks, you have to own CrossMAC and an original Mac
- Multichannel sound output and parallel-port sound digitizers
- Access to Ethernet networks
- Text clipboard sharing between Mac and Amiga
- File handler to access Macintosh volumes from the Workbench
- Speed comparable to a real Mac with equivalent hardware
The most important changes in V3.1:
- The SCSI routines have been completely rewritten. If you continue
to encounter incompatibilities with certain SCSI devices, it's
most probably a hardware or driver problem.
- AppleScript runs
- EtherTalk is fully supported
- ShapeShifter can now use external video drivers. To make a start,
a "Retina Z3" driver is being supplied.
- The graphics refresh in Amiga Bitplanes modes is faster.
- "MacMem" is now integrated into "PrepareEmul".
- DeviceDisks can now be used with removable media.
- The 68060 FPU is recognized correctly
- The "ShapeShifter PRAM" file format has changed. But a file in
the old format is recognized automatically and converted on the
- Those who own "CrossDOS" or "CrossMAC" and a Macintosh 800K disk
drive supported by CrossMAC can read and write Macintosh 800K DD
disks with ShapeShifter (truly spoken, this always worked with
ShapeShifter). AMAX and Emplant formatted 800K disks can also be
OS2.1, 68020 processor, 4MB of RAM, HD floppy drive recommended. A copy of
a Macintosh 512K or 1MB ROM and the Macintosh system software are not
included, but required. The ROM can be read off of a real Mac by using a
supplied program, the system software can be bought from Apple. Note,
however, that reading the ROM is only legal if you have bought the ROMs or
own a real Macintosh.
Aminet sites: /misc/emu/ShapeShift3_1.lha
Next Generation BBS, Germany (ShapeShifter support BBS)
Port 1: +49-261-805012 (Zyx19.2)
Port 2: +49-261-84280 (V.FC)
The requested shareware fee is DM 50,- or US$ 40.
Upon registration you will receive a keyfile that enables the
disabled features (SCSI and hard disk partition support).
Shareware (DM 50,- or US$ 40 requested)