Contents | < Browse | Browse >
Up to version 1.3:
From version 2.0 to 2.3:
Martin Gierich (firstname.lastname@example.org)
ZShell is a small (30K), fast and powerful Shell with many (65)
builtin commands. So it replaces most of the commands in the C:
directory (like LIST, COPY etc.) what effects in saving disk space
and reducing disk accesses. There is no way around ZShell for
those who do not have a harddisk or still have Kickstart 1.2/1.3 .
But it is useful for those with a better Kickstart and/or
hard disk, too, because for example it has powerful editing &
history, file name completion, review buffer, some Kickstart
2.0/3.0 specific features and a lovely LIST command.
ZShell is inteded for shell users who do not need a script
file execution which is as complex as a programming language
(simple script execution with IF, ASK, SKIP etc. is supported).
I tried to make usage nearly like the AmigaDOS Shell with some
features known from UN*X Shells but without a confusing variety
of options ("LIST -R" and "LIST ALL" both work).
For programmers ZShell has things like showing EXEC-lists and
the task list, memory dumping and execution checking.
You can switch off the internal command-line-editor to use
ZShell with console handlers like KingCON.
* Usage is similar (or better) to the standard AmigaDOS shell.
* Supports the standard housekeeping commands which are builtin,
so no disk access is necessary.
eg. list, dir, cd, assign, delete, copy, move, path, info, type
* A total of 65 builtin commands.
* About 30K small (pure assembler code, source included).
* Starting from Workbench (!) or CLI. No installation needed.
* File name completion by simply pressing TAB; shows all matches.
* Review buffer to see again what scrolled out of the window.
* Some commands and debugging features for programmers.
* Command line editing better than OS2.0 Shell.
* Support of OS2.0+ and OS3.0+ specific features.
* DIR and LIST both sort (by default) and show filesizes.
* Wild cards and recursive processing.
* Makes itself resident for quicker starting and memory saving.
* Real (!) RUN and NEWCLI command that reenters ZShell quickly.
* Can iconify itself.
* Simple 'MORE' type text viewer.
* Online Help function and AmigaGuide documentation with examples.
* Can create and show Hard- and Softlinks.
Support of OS2.0+ specific stuff (MALELINK, MAKEICON,
ASSIGN ADD, Application-Icon etc.).
Totally rewrote PATH, COPY, DELETE, PROTECT, MOVE and JOIN.
(Works with every Kickstart and does not use
Version 2.2 is available on
Copyrighted by Paul Hayter (1990/91) and
Martin Gierich (1993-95).
This is a major update made by Martin Gierich to ZShell
version 1.3 on the Fish Library Disk 537 from Paul Hayter.