Contents | < Browse | Browse >
Andreas M. Kirchwitz (csh 5.20+),
based on csh 5.19 by Urban D. Mueller
C-Shell is a replacement for the AmigaDOS command line interface.
Many builtin Unix-like commands, very fast script language, file-
name completion, command-name completion, comfortable command line
editing, pattern matching, AUX: mode, object oriented file classes,
abbreviation of internal and external commands. Supports multiple
C-Shell is easy to install and to use. Online help for all
commands, functions and various subjects. ARP-free!
Changes since version 5.39 (summary):
- New builtin variable "_timeout" (in microseconds) sets maximum
response time for terminal to answer WINDOW STATUS REQUEST (for
window bounds). Defaults to 1 (for local usage), must be set to
higher value for remote connections. Only used, if window pointer
is not available.
- Removed command line length limitation (140 chars) for ARexx scripts
that ends with ".rexx" but are started without the trailing ".rexx".
- Removed command line length limitation (518 chars) for ARexx scripts
and external shells (#! in first line), this was a limitation in
AmigaOS' System() function. DOS scripts still have this limitation,
because you cannot RunCommand() "execute".
- Not only "*" and "?" but also "[" and "]" recognized as AmigaDOS
pattern. (that means, to use "[" and "]" you must quote (") or
escape () them!)
- ... and much more workarounds for serious bugs in DateToStr() and
- Fixed bug: making an assign to an executable and calling the
executable by its assign crashed machine.
- Fixed bug: builtin command "cp" sometimes used already freed memory
for generating error messages (resulted in some strange error
- New flag for for command abbreviation ($_abbrev):
8, search DOS path-list if command wasn't found in Cshell's
internal program hash list (see "rehash" command)
- CTRL-D now shows matching files if current word is not a directory.
(if directory then shows contents of directory -- as usual)
In its current implementation this may have unexpected side effects
if current word is already a pattern.
- Class definition for AmigaE in class.sh
- Now internal timer (eg, %e in the titlebar) not set to zero when a
null command is encountered. (same for return code, %x in titlebar)
- The idea of always using the variable "_dirformat" for "dir" wasn't
a good idea. So, "_dirformat" is only used if option -z is given
(when "_dirformat" is unset then use first argument as format
- New control-code for line-editing: "^V" (ctrl-v) quotes next char.
- New builtin variable "_kick" holds version number of Operating
- Builtin command "assign" now prints volume name if assign points to
an unmounted volume (eg, a removed floppy disk) and doesn't pop up
a requester "Please replace volume ..."
- It was a stupid idea to force redirecting of all Cshell-related
system requesters to CSH's screen, because requester windows
inherit the window title of their "initiator". They appear now
again on your default public screen.
- Fixed serious bug (crashed machine) with redirection and launching
programs into background. (files closed twice)
Known bug: it's still not possible to run pipes into background...
- When running programs into background (run, rback, &), internal
commands and aliases are recognized and executed with "csh -c".
Aliases WON'T be resolved on this level so they must be declared
in .cshrc to run them into background.
- Execution of Rexx-Scripts (without trailing ".rexx") and any other
program with "#! my_prog" or ";! my_prog" in first line of script
now possible also from DOS search path and not only $_path.
- New builtin variable "_mappath" (see manual), enables pathname-
mapping for commands if script starts with "#!" or ";!" in first
line. Converts Unix pathes like "/usr/..." to "usr:...".
- New option "-w" for Cshell, don't use window pointer (useful for
- New option "-V" for Cshell, send only VT100 compatible control
- Internal variable "o_vt100" now used (if option -t or -V is set),
don't send control sequences that are not VT100 compatible (eg,
special Amiga control sequences).
- Various changes/enhancements to existing commands.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes.
See file "HISTORY" in archive csh539.lha for complete listing
of changes and new features.
AmigaOS 2.0 (or higher)
FTP/Internet: AmiNet and mirrors
For example, ftp.wustl.edu [126.96.36.199].
UUCP/E-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Send mail to the address above and put the
line "send /pub/aminet/util/shell/csh539.lha"
in the body.
csh539.lha (binary and documentation)
csh539src.lha (source code for SAS/C 6)
Freely distributable, Copyright by the individual authors.