Contents | < Browse | Browse >
Frank Copeland -- email@example.com
Oberon-A is a freely-distributable Oberon-2 compiler. Oberon-2 is a
modern object-oriented language designed by Niklaus Wirth, the creator
of Pascal and Modula-2, and Hanspeter Mvssenbvck. Oberon-A is an
implementation of the language for the Amiga computer, ported from a
compiler written by Niklaus Wirth.
The archive contains the compiler, an error lister, a pre-link
utility, a linker (BLink), a programmer's environment and other
utilities. A complete interface to the Amiga operating system
(Release 3.1) and a collection of library modules in source code form
is provided. Documentation is in AmigaGuide and plain ASCII formats.
The full source code for the compiler and utilities is available in a
Release 1.4 is a preliminary release with a limited module library
and requires testing.
- The compiler directly generates MC68000 machine code in standard
AmigaDOS format object files.
- Both ALink and BLink can be used to link object modules and support
for other linkers will be progressively added.
- A garbage collector for memory (with some limitations) is built in to
the run-time support code.
- Language extensions include:
- Escaped characters in strings (big deal :-)).
- Support for BCPL and C pointers.
- Inline calls to Amiga system libraries.
- Vararg parameters to pass tag lists to Amiga library calls.
- The compiler is currently CLI-only, but a programmer's environment
utility provides Workbench access.
- Interactive and batch compilation is supported.
- Amiga interfaces upgraded to Release 3.1.
- An error listing utility.
- A module definition utility.
- Compiler options to generate stack checks and NIL pointer checks.
- Simple foreign code interface (to be improved).
Oberon-A requires 1MB of memory and a hard disk is strongly recommended.
A text editor is required and must be obtained seperately.
Oberon-A now officially requires AmigaOS 2.04 or greater. Most of the
package will still run under AmigaOS 1.3, but this will not last.
Oberon-A has been uploaded to AmiNet. It is available from
ftp.wustl.edu, archie.au and other AmiNet sites.
Oberon-A_1.x_bin.lha -- Binaries and documentation.
Oberon-A_1.x_lib.lha -- Library source and examples.
Oberon-A_1.x_src.lha -- Source for compiler and utilities.
x is the update number, currently 4. The bin and lib archives are
required, the src archive is optional.
Kind words to the author :-)
Freeware, distributed under the GNU General Public License and the GNU
Library General Public License.