Contents | < Browse | Browse >
ARN v1.03a AVAILABLE FOR FTP
Fax: +49 211 623818
Arn is a newsreader for USENET/UUCP messages to use with
Amiga UUCP installations (CNews and derivates or AmigaUUCP D).
Arn is a fast newsreader which allows you to select groups and
articles individually. It uses small databases (~2% of newsvolume)
for providing fast overviews over articles. It's simliar to the
well known UN*X 'tin' and 'nn'-newsreader, but its no ported
It offers much functionality to the user and is well configurable
(runs with nearly all UUCP-installations). Especially when you have
a lot of newsgroups and articles Arn is a good choice, because other
newsreaders hold all their information in memory, but Arn tries to
use as little as possible.
Arn has a new scheme for managing newsgroups, which makes
subscription and unsubscription easy (no annoying questions
about subscription at beginning of a session).
Arn is completely controlable via the keyboard. Intuition/mouse
support is planned for further versions, but it has the advantage
of working via serial ports.
* table overview over newsgroups and articles
* selection of groups and articles of interest
* five different article-overview display-modi
- subject-threads in alphabetical order (within a thread
- subject-threads in chronological order (within a thread
- no threads, article sorted by date
- compacted versions of the first two, which hide follow-ups
* auto-selection and global/local kill-files
* fast overview presentation of all articles by use of small
* doesn't require much memory and is fast even with really many and
* configurable display of article-headers
* built-in pager, recognizing extra long lines
* full usage of screen sizes
* multi-user support
* works over the serial line (using termcap), too
* rudimentary MIME support
Since the V1.03 there were some bugfixes:
- fixed bug in time.c which produced empty Date:
- fixed error msg when active-file was 0 bytes
- fixed LF in moderators-mailaddress
- fixed bug when pressing CTRL-C
- no longer private Public-Screen (sorry for forgetting this)
- fixed deallocation of memory in getconfig.c (some bytes were lost)
+ new option -s waits for a keypress after initialization
+ does 5 retries if it couldn't open database because it was in use
- compiled under SAS/C 6.3
- fixed bugs in ArnMaster which caused enforcer hits.
Arn should work on any Amiga model with OS2.04 or higher.
Naturally, UUCP software is required for getting news.
This can be CNews, wCNews or AmigaUUCP 1.16D for example.
CNews/wCNews have an advantage over AmigaUUCP by providing an
"active"-file, which lets ArnMaster build its databases
faster (no scanning for new articles needed).
Arn and source(!) is available via anonymous ftp from:
ftp.wustl.edu (188.8.131.52) and its mirrors.
(maybe still in pub/amiga/new/)
pub/incoming/ (may need some time to move to)
On all sites they should be:
Arn103a.lha - binaries and docs
Arn103a_src.lha - Source for SAS/C 6.3
Arn is copyrighted software! Arn is (c)opyrighted by Roland Bless.
You can distribute it unchanged for free (charging no more than the
usual copying fee). It is allowed to upload it on commercial dialup
services like BIX, Compuserve etc.
Because UN*X newsreaders are free, too, Arn is no explicit sharware,
but you if you really enjoy it, you _should_ send a contribution.
It is forbidden to distribute a changed source!
P.S.: I'm currently in vacation (preparing for exams).
Until 15.Oct.93. I'm not at my site and all mail is queued.
If you have something urgent (no bug reports, because I cant fix bugs
without my Amiga) send mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org