Contents | < Browse | Browse >
FASTCACHE V1.0 AVAILABLE FOR FTP
Philip D'Ath (firstname.lastname@example.org)
FastCache is a fully associative hard drive caching program. It
increases the performance of hard drives.
Following is an extract of the features from the manual.
* Fully associative cache (one of the best algorithms)
* LRU cache replacement policy (one of the best)
* Can handle multiple drives
* *Should* be able to handle removable media
* All cache settings are determined at run time
* Optional write retention
* Does not require large continuous chunks of memory
* Uses a hashing system to locate data (one of the best)
* Performs both forward and reverse prefetching
* Will utilize the blitter to move data, if possible
I have spared little effort in writing FastCache. It uses some
of the best algorithms (and more often than not, most complex
algorithms) for nearly everything.
KS2.0 preferred and supported, although appears to work under
KS1.3. Minimum of 256K of memory required, but the cache will be
strangled (and a fast processor will be required). 512K of memory
or better is recommended. The more memory the better.
Special versions are supplied for 68000 and 68030 processors.
And of course, some form of drive that supports seeking is
ftp.th-darmstadt.de and other AMINET sites
$US20, $A20 or $NZ20. Payment will be accepted by cheque
in one of the nominated currencies. The US and Australian
prices may appear artificially inflated compared to the New
Zealand price. This is to cover the exchange costs of
converting it to $NZ, and possible communications.
This software is distributed under the shareware concept. The
prospective owner is granted a 3 month trial period to evaluate
the software. FastCache is (c) 1992 by Philip D'Ath.
Future versions are guaranteed NOT to support KS1.3.